Saturday, January 4, 2020

January 4, 2020 - Chapter 4, Part#2 Story of Ken

Greetings, Angels. 

So that you know, my dear-departed wife Bonnie put a plaque (which nearly resembles a headstone on a metal frame) in the front garden/bushes that says, "Angels Walk Among Us", so I guess in my own way I honor her beliefs on this one

For this update, let me start with a joke (admittedly, my kinda unique sense of humor) to set the tone. I ask in question form:
"Do these dexamethasones make my feet look fat?"

If you read my emails, have and use Google, or know something of pharmacology, it will make sense. It's been a rough few days, and I'm sorry for lack of update, but I have been unmoved in that area. Steroids have been kicking my ass.

I'm on Day Four of "Pajama Therapy" (and actually digging it), but I did go out for two short trips. Yesterday, I went to check out some vegan pot-pies, and pick up some other easy-to-make plant-based meals.  Profitable, but taxing. I had to pull the strings loose on my biggest tennis shoes to be able to wear something on my feet. Even walking at home is a chore. Thankfully, tomorrow is the last day of the doctors weaning me of these steroids, so I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Unfortunately, the dexamethasone my be the culprit in something called Thrush, which is a fungal infection in the mouth that had me in such pain I had serious difficulty swallowing the very pain meds for the pain it was causing. Kind of a Catch 22. Three days later, though, the anti-fungal medication is working like a charm, and I can eat without feeling like the food was first dipped in sulfuric acid. Rodney Dangerfield would say, "Whoo, it was rough I tell ya."

So, after this period of recovery from radiosurgery of the brain, and all these other things, I'll go back to the medical oncologist a week from Thursday. I have no less than six nurses I can always call, too at any time, including a couple 'nurse navigators', in case I have questions or issues (like the fungal infection) or just want to touch base. They are very helpful, cooperative, and caring. They all seem to like their job.

That's what I have for now. Everything else is in "stasis", and I just try to be patient. They are pretty clear, that even though it was pinpoint radiosurgery, it was still brain surgery and I need to recuperate. So I do. I'm grateful for the resumption of my appetite and desire to rest. That's actually huge all by itself.

Thanks for being there, always.
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment