Thursday, January 23, 2020

January 23, 2020 - Chapter 4, Part #4 Story of Ken

Dear Angels,

As always, thank you for all the support, Love, and Kindness I receive both in emails and elsewhere. I am genuinely grateful.

Although this week has been eventful and interesting, it did not include the first round of chemo that had been scheduled. 

Yesterday, I had my 'orientation and education' with one of the oncology nurses for about an hour. I learned what a grocery list of chemicals and drugs will be used and all the possible positives, negatives, and side effects. I was given a printed version to study at home and for reference. I have to admit, there wasn't much I hadn't already been made aware of to some degree. My brother Steve was there as well, to be an extra set of ears and to help address questions that I might forget. I think we covered everything. 

The newest CT Scan was slightly different, in that I drank a 16 oz. bottle of a strawberry flavored 'contrast' solution, and then--after waiting an hour for absorption--had the normal scan with injected die. The one hour wait was the hardest part, actually.

Today, after the third night of intermittent sleep, I got to the doctors to prepare for the treatment. The so-far unused port was accessed and blood was drawn for testing. I was relieved that it worked fine (with only a small pin-prick of pain) after having been installed around six weeks ago. The normal 'flush' time for a port is six to eight weeks, and I am still on the learning curve. Anyway, they needed to take samples of blood (and urine) to check my viability for treatment. It appears I'm sturdy enough and have normal numbers, making me ready for treatment.

When the doctor came in, she told me the results of the CT Scan and gave me a copy to take home. The thing that stuck out, for me, was that it has grown a little in the past few months, but has NOT metastasized in any region covered by the scan. This means it has not gone into the other lung or elsewhere in the chest area. That was good news. Unfortunately, the insurance company has not okayed treatment yet, due to what appears to be a slow-down in the information-sharing involving the samples that have been sent out and such. I did receive letters today from the insurance company letting me know that the CT Scan for yesterday had been approved for payment, so I imagine it won't be long before everything gets caught up. The doctor saw fit to postpone the actual chemo treatment until next Thursday, the 30th. She assured me that this small delay was not of any concern, medically speaking. I still yield to her expertise and decisions. She is the one at the helm of this particular travel vessel, as I have indicated before. Again, I remind that I still trust that there are far greater hands that hold and guide this ship, anyway. So, for me, next week it is.

I'll keep everyone in the know as much as possible, and answer queries as best I can, but please join me in staying positive.

Love always,
Grateful Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment