Thursday, February 6, 2020

February 6, 2020 - Chapter 6, Part #1 Story of Ken

Good evening, Angels.

Yesterday, I got a call in the late afternoon from the radiology department at St. Thomas. There evidently was a glitch with the insurance company confusing some information, and I was asked to call this morning to verify that the problem was resolved before I came down. (it's about a one hour drive from my house) My reaction, though not all that emotionally charged, was so immediate that I had no resistance to the thought, "Well....here we go...." That makes three insurance company snafus in one week.

So late this morning, I started calling and began getting an automated message that all the phone lines were tied up (or something like that) and later just started getting a busy signal. Finally, I called the neurologist's office to see if they could get through to radiology and find out if we were all still on schedule. I was to get an MRI, and then a couple of hours later see the neurologist to discuss their findings. A very helpful gal, and one I had personally seen 'work magic' with the system, took my problem on and told me she'd call back once she found out something. A short while later, it was confirmed that the insurance issue had not been resolved. We scheduled the two visits for next Thursday and I went back to my daily routine, after making sure I had noted the new date and time for the appointments. Within an hour, the radiology department called to tell me that everything had been straightened out and we could reschedule however I wanted. I told her that it was a done deal (for next Thursday) and thanked her for letting me know so quickly. She checked the computer and saw the new appointments, confirmed them, and thanked me for my time and patience.

What I'm discovering, is that all these people are kind, gracious, helpful, and I might even add compassionate. They are like you and me; they work (most of us, anyway) for an organization much bigger than ourselves and too often get caught in the middle--left and right--trying to help people wade through what often appears to be unnecessary bureaucratic red tape. They are doing their very best, most of them, and I actually feel sorry that they are put in that position. I guess their compassion has infected me, yes?

So, we're down to two insurance companies tying up loose ends (or whatever it is) and I'm at least scheduled for next Thursday, the 13th, for an MRI of the brain, and a consultation with the neurologist to discuss the findings. I suspect as things fall into place, that the information will come in handy once I see the medical oncologist and start the chemotherapy. It appears that way, in any case, since the major concern is metastasis.

Thanks for being in my life, checking up on me (as many do), and allowing me to practice my writing. I enjoy this, much as writing about delays kinda makes it harder to be upbeat and cheerful. As Robert Plant sang, "But I'll just keep a-rollin' along with the Grace from the Lord up above."

See you in the funny pages, Angels. 

Love and Blessings,
Ken



Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment